Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology
Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME
The Fraunhofer Institute for Molecular Biology and Applied Ecology IME conducts research in the field of applied life sciences from a molecular level to entire ecosystems. We offer research and development services for medicine, industrial biotechnology, agriculture and environmental protection with main emphasis on:
- Diagnosis and therapy of human, animal and plant diseases
- Discovery of bio-materials as new raw material sources and development of techniques for economic and ecological use of natural resources
- Identification, characterization as well as utilization of insect specific compounds
- Protection and improvement of food and feed stocks
- Identification and assessment of risks in synthetic and biogenous substances for consumer and environment
- Development of strategies for minimization of risks
Our interdisciplinary organization and laboratories with most recent equipment including GMP facilities and complex facilities for environmental simulations allow a wide spectrum of research and development services in the areas of molecular biology, biotechnology, environmental chemistry, ecotoxicology and ecology.
The institute has around 257 employees working at the locations Schmallenberg, Aachen, Münster and Gießen. We have close ties with the Institute of Molecular Biotechnology of the University of Technology (RWTH) Aachen, with the Institute of Biology and Biotechnology of Plants of the University Münster (WWU) as well as with the Justus Liebig University Gießen (JLU) in terms of personnel and areas of work.
The Fraunhofer Center for Molecular Biotechnology (CMB) in Newark, Delaware, secures a direct presence of the IME on the American market. The Fraunhofer Center for Systems Biotechnology (CSB) is the recently founded location of the IME in Chile offering interesting research options on the fields aquaculture, agriculture and energy.
Within the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft we have close co-operations with the other institutes of the Fraunhofer Group for Life-Sciences, the Fraunhofer Food Chain Management Alliance and the Photocatalysis Alliance.