Thin-film technology is the core business of the Fraunhofer Institute for Surface Engineering and Thin Films IST. In our business fields of mechanical and automotive engineering; tools; energy, glass and façade; optics, information and communication and life science and ecology, we, as an R&D service centre close to industry, develop application-oriented and market-viable solutions for our partners.
To meet your challenges in the high-tech automotive sector, we combine our competences in the following fields:
- Micro and sensor technology
- Electrical and optical functional coatings
- Large area coating
In line with the cross-sectional character of coatings and surface technologies the institute cooperates with a large number of coating service providers, equipment manufacturers, and coating users from diverse industries like machinery, transportation, production technology, electronics, optics, information technology, energy, medical devices, and biotechnology to name just the most important ones.
Goals of the Fraunhofer IST
- Rapid transfer of innovative solutions from application oriented research and development to the industrial praxis
- Establishment of new future oriented technologies in the market place and
- Transfer of these innovative technologies to small and medium sized companies.
We already started cooperation with the University of Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, in the field of tribological coatings.